Friday, November 20, 2009

About Face: Ten Tips For Holiday Beauty

Dahlings, can you believe that the Holidays are here! I mean where does the time go? I'm starting a series of posts to help you look your flyest this season because style can go wrong, very wrong around the holidays. People tend to either do too much or too little. And I want you to achieve a happy medium. I'm starting the holiday style series off with some makeup tips from my good friend Tricia Turner, a fantastic make-up artist. Tricia began her career in 2000 freelancing as a makeup artist for major cosmetic lines such as M.A.C., Laura Mercier, Nars, and Bobbi Brown. She has created make up looks for fashion photography, runway, print, entertainment, music video, and film. Since she's a girl in the know, I thought it would be great for her to share her ten tips for holiday beauty. So here goes.

Skin: Beautiful holiday makeup starts with great skin. No amount of foundation or blush will look good if applied to skin that's not healthy.

1. Chilly winter air and cold temperatures rob skin of its natural moisture so you'll want to replenish it with a moisturizer that's appropriate for your skin type. Try: Laura Mercier Moisturizer Cream with spf 15.

Note from Vo: People tend to ask me about the products I use on my face to achieve what they think is flawless skin.  First off, I don't wake up in the morning with flawless skin, hello! I have to finisse it a little bit. Secondly, I owe a lot to my mother's good genes. She has perfect skin and unlike me she wears no make-up, except for her bold red lipstick. Thirdly, I do take some preventive measures. For instance,  I don't smoke (  nothing ages your skin like smoking) and I've been wearing sunscreen every day since I was  in my early 20's despite my dark skin. As you know, the sun is the number one culprit in aging your skin. Finally, I don't drink in excess. I know it's hard to believe considering the fact that I was named "Most Likely To Organize Happy Hour" at work. I do enjoy an adult beverage on oaccasion but  I rarely ever over indulge, which can badly dehydrate the skin. And I never go to sleep with  makeup on my face. I know it sounds obvious but you'd be surprise how many people don't remove their make up at night before bed. Gross! But most imprtantly, at night I slather on some anti-wrinkle cream. I'm not going to say the brand I use because I think any brand will do the trick just pick one that is good for your skin type and that fits your budget. I have dry skin so my cream is pretty heavy on the moisturizing and  I love to slather it on my face at night. Oh and don't forget to apply to your neck, it needs some TLC too.

 Healthy skin is part genetic but there is a small part you can play in maintaining good skin. And as Tricia says above, no amount of make-up can give you that.

2. Winter weather can cause flaking of the top layers of the skin so using an exfoliant is key to sloughing away those dead cells that can make foundation look cakey. Try: Philosophy's "The Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash.

3. Protect your lips from winter's chill by using a balm nightly before bed to combat chapping. Try: M.A.C. Lip Conditioner Tube.

Note from Vo: I get dry lips a lot during the winter, which I know many of you do too. It makes it impossible to keep your lipstick or  gloss from staying on or looking good. I moisturize my lips all day and before bed I slap on some more lip balm, using a soft rag or soft tooth brush I gently slough away any  dead skin. Then I slap on some more lip balm and go to bed.  In the morning I have nice supple lips.

Eyes: The holidays are the perfect time to add a little sparkle to your makeup. It's all in the way you wear it and perfect for all your special events.

4. Apply shimmer to the lids using a gold or silver eye shadow. Applied sparingly it can add a festive touch to your eye makeup. Finish the look by adding a coat of black mascara. Try: M.A.C. Electra and Amber Lights Eyeshadow.




5. Eyeliner is a wonderful and easy way to add a pop of holiday color. Experiment with shades of plum, dark green, and copper. Try: M.A.C. Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Bountiful Brown, Forever Green, and Permaplum.

Cheeks: Add a pop of color to cheeks by using a more vibrant shade of blush. Search for shades that brighten your skin while enhancing or "faking" your cheekbones.

6. Cream blush is just the thing for cheeks exposed to dry winter air. Apply with fingers or a brush and blend upward into the cheek bone. Try: Clinique Blushwear Creamstick.

7. Deeper pinks and plums add a pretty flush to cheeks. The shades may seem shocking or too dark at first glance but the colors are sheer and go on naturally. Try: Makeup Forever Powder Blush in Dark Raspberry and Candy Pink.

Note: Darker skin girls sometimes think they can't wear blush. But I love it! And blush can work wonders honey. If you're not big on make up, sometimes just adding a little blush will help to brighten up your look and make you look more awake and of course, youthful. I wear this from M.A.C. it has a little shimmer to help define the cheek bones.

Lips: Cooler colors with a bit of depth give wearable drama to lips. Experiment with glosses, creams and matte textures.

8. Glosses with frost or sparkle are fabulous for holiday parties and special events. Try: Smashbox's  Wish For The Perfect Pout Set, a limited edition set of 6 lip glosses made just for the holidays.

9. Matte lipsticks give a velvety and sumptuous finish to lips. Red is both classic and festive. Find the right shade for you by paying a visit to your local makeup counter.And don't be afraid to try them on. Try: M.A.C. Matte Lipstick in Chili, Russian Red, or Lady Danger. But do keep the rest of your makeup light if you choose to go this route. The focus should be on your lips.

Yet another note from Vo: I love dramatic lips. If you see me on the regular you know this for sure. Red  lips are very of the moment, but I've been stuck on M.A.C's Rebel. It's a vivid pinkish purple and feels a little bit more fun, edgy and unexpected. It's definetly for the gal who likes a little drama.

10. Have fun! Don't be afraid to experiment and use color. The holidays are a joyful time and adding a bit of color to your makeup is a great way to celebrate the season.

The Final Word: Dahlings, the holidays should be fun sexy times. This is your chance to try a new shade of eyeshadow or lipstick! Do the unexpected this year and turn heads. Go a head, I promise you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post Categories

2010 (1) a line skirt (1) accessories (10) airport style (2) amsterdam (2) ANTM (1) ASOS.com. (1) bags (2) barcelona (1) beauty products (1) belts (1) Black Friday (1) blazer (2) blush. candles (1) Boho Lux (1) booties (1) boots (5) bottoms (1) budget (1) Button Up Shirt (1) Camel Coat (1) Cape (1) cardigans (1) Christian Siriano (1) classic pieces (1) closet (1) Clothing swap (2) coat (1) Consumerism (1) couture (1) Creating layered looks (1) cross body bags (1) deals (3) denim jacket (1) desinger dresses (2) discount stores (1) discounts (1) Dresses (6) eco-friendly (1) fairly traded (1) fall 2010 (4) Fall Boots (2) fall fashion (1) Fall must have (5) fashion (3) Fashion TV (1) festive sweaters (1) film (1) flats (1) Forever21 (2) garden dress (1) getaways (1) gilt group (1) gloves (1) Golden Globes (1) haiti (1) handbag (1) handbags (1) haute look (1) heels (8) high end fashion (1) holidays (3) Hot For Fall (2) indie designers (1) Jewelry (2) Lanvin (1) leggings (2) leopard (1) london (1) M.A.C (1) make up (1) maxi (1) men and fashion (1) ModCloth (1) necklaces (1) NYE (1) Old Navy (1) opaque tights (1) oprah (1) Paris (2) Party dresses 2010 (1) Payless (1) personal style (6) pregnancy (1) pumps (1) Rachel Zoe (1) rent the runway (1) resolutions (1) sales (1) scarves (3) Sex and the City (1) shoes (7) shop (1) shopping (5) shopping diet (1) shopping responsibly (1) skinny jeans (1) skirts (1) Spring 2010 (8) Spring 2011 (4) stars (1) Stella and Dot (1) street style (1) Strutter of the Week (1) style (7) Style inspiration (1) style maven (1) style profile (2) stylish ladies (1) summer (1) summer 2010 (2) summer cool. (1) summer style (2) sunglasses (2) sweater dress (1) sweatshops (1) Target (1) Tee shirts (1) The Maxi Skirt (1) thrift (1) tights (2) top 7 things to pack (1) travel (1) TV (1) uniform (1) Vegas (1) vintage (2) vogue (1) walking in heels (1) watches (1) wedges (2) Wide leg jeans (1) wide leg pants (1) winter 2010 (2) winter fashion (1) wrap dress (1)