Sunday, December 6, 2009

Spotted: Street Style in Amsterdam



Dahlings...it's been a week since I've been back from my trip to Amsterdam where I was managing some promotional work for my company. I can say that Amsterdam is a  beautiful city. In between  work,  I managed to sneak away to visit a few touristy spots in the Dam such as the Ann Frank house, the Van Gogh and Rembrandt Museums and of course the infamouse and seedy Red Light District. The rain was incessant and I think I would prefer to have been there in the spring time. But of course as I walked and walked and walked, the streets of Amsterdam, being careful not to get run over by bikers, I kept my eyes open to what the women were wearing. I really enjoyed the confidence in which Dutch women carried themselves. Young and old seem to really enjoy fashion.The clothing was practicle, stylish and not overtly fussy and individual style statements was made in the detail; a nice scarf, a well tailored coat, sexy heels, and a chic purse. I love that the girls zipped about town on bikes in heels, sensible heels I might add but on the weekends I did spot some major heel heights.




The style uniform was not all that different than what the girls here are rocking: leggings ( all sorts, mostly black but the more adventourous girls went for a pop of color); tulip or ballerina inspired skirts, and of course boots reigned supreme ( tall ones, short ones, shooties, booties, you name it);and both stylish but functional, scarves and hats were in high rotation. As expected this time of year, the coat ruled the streets, primarily the belted military coat in black of course.


 But I really enjoyed the girls who broke out of the box and opted for a patterned or a fantastic coat in an unexpected color. There's something so refreshing about a shot of bright color on a dreary winter day. I recalled a baby blue swing coat, an orange baby doll coat and a deep purple double breasted coat standing out vividly among a sea of blackness.



There was also a lot of faux fur on the streets, which was bizarre considering it rained non-stop. And of course I made an attempt to buy something stylish that was unique to Amsterdam. Unfortunately what I really wanted I couldn't really afford and what I could afford I could get  here in the states...cheaper. Major let down. But stores, like H&M where at every corner, as well as ZARA as to be expected. It's interesting how the democratization of fashion is uniting us all. Not sure if it's good or bad thing yet. Anyway here's some street style I captured, some on a rainy day as a I sat at an outdoor cafe sipping on my Americano and some just walking the streets.

No comments:

Post Categories

2010 (1) a line skirt (1) accessories (10) airport style (2) amsterdam (2) ANTM (1) ASOS.com. (1) bags (2) barcelona (1) beauty products (1) belts (1) Black Friday (1) blazer (2) blush. candles (1) Boho Lux (1) booties (1) boots (5) bottoms (1) budget (1) Button Up Shirt (1) Camel Coat (1) Cape (1) cardigans (1) Christian Siriano (1) classic pieces (1) closet (1) Clothing swap (2) coat (1) Consumerism (1) couture (1) Creating layered looks (1) cross body bags (1) deals (3) denim jacket (1) desinger dresses (2) discount stores (1) discounts (1) Dresses (6) eco-friendly (1) fairly traded (1) fall 2010 (4) Fall Boots (2) fall fashion (1) Fall must have (5) fashion (3) Fashion TV (1) festive sweaters (1) film (1) flats (1) Forever21 (2) garden dress (1) getaways (1) gilt group (1) gloves (1) Golden Globes (1) haiti (1) handbag (1) handbags (1) haute look (1) heels (8) high end fashion (1) holidays (3) Hot For Fall (2) indie designers (1) Jewelry (2) Lanvin (1) leggings (2) leopard (1) london (1) M.A.C (1) make up (1) maxi (1) men and fashion (1) ModCloth (1) necklaces (1) NYE (1) Old Navy (1) opaque tights (1) oprah (1) Paris (2) Party dresses 2010 (1) Payless (1) personal style (6) pregnancy (1) pumps (1) Rachel Zoe (1) rent the runway (1) resolutions (1) sales (1) scarves (3) Sex and the City (1) shoes (7) shop (1) shopping (5) shopping diet (1) shopping responsibly (1) skinny jeans (1) skirts (1) Spring 2010 (8) Spring 2011 (4) stars (1) Stella and Dot (1) street style (1) Strutter of the Week (1) style (7) Style inspiration (1) style maven (1) style profile (2) stylish ladies (1) summer (1) summer 2010 (2) summer cool. (1) summer style (2) sunglasses (2) sweater dress (1) sweatshops (1) Target (1) Tee shirts (1) The Maxi Skirt (1) thrift (1) tights (2) top 7 things to pack (1) travel (1) TV (1) uniform (1) Vegas (1) vintage (2) vogue (1) walking in heels (1) watches (1) wedges (2) Wide leg jeans (1) wide leg pants (1) winter 2010 (2) winter fashion (1) wrap dress (1)