Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Ugly Truth About Fashion

Dahlings, so you know I’m in the documentary biz and as a result I try really hard not to watch docs during my free time. But I was recently given a dvd of a doc called Schmatta: From Rags to Riches to Rags from a co-worker,which aired last year on HBOs documentary series. Anyway the documentary reveals why in the last 40 years, the percentage of American clothing made in America has plummeted from 95 to 5. I’m aware that most of the clothes I buy are not made in the USA but I honestly didn’t know the number was so low. I mean if I wanted to buy a piece of clothing made in the US, could I and where?
The doc also reveals how corporate takeovers ended many independent lines, iconic department stores merged and vanished, which further increased reliance on factories overseas. Which of course meant that the skilled laborers lost their jobs. It’s all really sad and not anything I hadn’t heard before but I wondered what one could do about it? And let’s talk about the deplorable conditions that go on in the sweatshops.



Despite my love of a good bargain,  I try to  practice good consumerism when I can. I host clothing swaps, donate clothes frequently and really try to use my local tailor to re-purpose my clothes as much as possible. And I often stop by a second hand or vintage clothing to pick-up an interesting piece here and there. I know that’s not enough but it’s something. But I really wanted to learn more and to do more. Here are some tips that I found:

-Purchase clothing and accessories second-hand, from vintage clothing stores, consignment stores (online or near where you live), thrift stores, garage sales, and ebay.
-Sell, consign, or donate the clothes, toys, shoes, and athletic supplies you aren't wearing anymore. This will keep items in good condition in circulation rather than sitting in your closet or on your shelf unused. Thus the market for sweat-shop-produced items decreases.
-Only buy what you need. If you do happen to be shopping somewhere and do not know the origin of the items, make it a point not to buy anything beyond what you really need.
-Select clothing and accessories from manufacturers and retailers who guarantee sweatshop-free conditions. Look for descriptors such as fair trade, fair wage, socially responsible, sweatshop-free, union-made.
-Make your own clothing, hire someone locally to make your clothing, or buy clothing from craft fairs. This may be easier said then done. But if you’ve got the skills, time and patience, this would be a great way to go.

Anyway, I’m certain many of the places I shop at have shady business practices and are a part of the problem not the solution. I'm on a path to ween myself off them...slowly. In the meantime, check out this site which offers up good tid bits on  how to shop more responsibly.

No comments:

Post Categories

2010 (1) a line skirt (1) accessories (10) airport style (2) amsterdam (2) ANTM (1) ASOS.com. (1) bags (2) barcelona (1) beauty products (1) belts (1) Black Friday (1) blazer (2) blush. candles (1) Boho Lux (1) booties (1) boots (5) bottoms (1) budget (1) Button Up Shirt (1) Camel Coat (1) Cape (1) cardigans (1) Christian Siriano (1) classic pieces (1) closet (1) Clothing swap (2) coat (1) Consumerism (1) couture (1) Creating layered looks (1) cross body bags (1) deals (3) denim jacket (1) desinger dresses (2) discount stores (1) discounts (1) Dresses (6) eco-friendly (1) fairly traded (1) fall 2010 (4) Fall Boots (2) fall fashion (1) Fall must have (5) fashion (3) Fashion TV (1) festive sweaters (1) film (1) flats (1) Forever21 (2) garden dress (1) getaways (1) gilt group (1) gloves (1) Golden Globes (1) haiti (1) handbag (1) handbags (1) haute look (1) heels (8) high end fashion (1) holidays (3) Hot For Fall (2) indie designers (1) Jewelry (2) Lanvin (1) leggings (2) leopard (1) london (1) M.A.C (1) make up (1) maxi (1) men and fashion (1) ModCloth (1) necklaces (1) NYE (1) Old Navy (1) opaque tights (1) oprah (1) Paris (2) Party dresses 2010 (1) Payless (1) personal style (6) pregnancy (1) pumps (1) Rachel Zoe (1) rent the runway (1) resolutions (1) sales (1) scarves (3) Sex and the City (1) shoes (7) shop (1) shopping (5) shopping diet (1) shopping responsibly (1) skinny jeans (1) skirts (1) Spring 2010 (8) Spring 2011 (4) stars (1) Stella and Dot (1) street style (1) Strutter of the Week (1) style (7) Style inspiration (1) style maven (1) style profile (2) stylish ladies (1) summer (1) summer 2010 (2) summer cool. (1) summer style (2) sunglasses (2) sweater dress (1) sweatshops (1) Target (1) Tee shirts (1) The Maxi Skirt (1) thrift (1) tights (2) top 7 things to pack (1) travel (1) TV (1) uniform (1) Vegas (1) vintage (2) vogue (1) walking in heels (1) watches (1) wedges (2) Wide leg jeans (1) wide leg pants (1) winter 2010 (2) winter fashion (1) wrap dress (1)