Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Flying In Style



Sienna Miller Airport Style

Okay Dahlings, summer weather is no where to be seen in the Bay Area so I’ve been hitting the road in search of it. I went on two trips to South Lake Tahoe, once with friends the other a week long trip with the Family. Vegas was a hot blast and LA, while not as sunny as I expected-was a much needed break from the daily grind. Although my surroundings was polluted temporarily when I ran into the Jersey Shore Cast in the hotel lobby. But I digress. Tonight I’m off to hot ass and muggy Columbus, Ohio where I will be attending a friend's wedding. Needless to say I’ve been on the road a lot this summer and have been making some strong observations on maintaining a reasonable presentation en route to your destination. When I was at LAX last week I was really dumbfounded by the way people presented themselves at the airport. I for one believe that you should never forsake fashion for comfort when traveling because you can truly have both if you try.  I know it can be a bit tricky toeing the fine line between frumpy and fabulous so here are my style tips for a fashionable bon voyage.

Style tips:

Dress in comfortable monochromatic knits. I’m not one for matchy-matchy looks but one of my favorite and easiest ways to dress when traveling is in one color theme. Use accessories to add contrast and interest. For instance I like to dress in all black when I travel. My go to look tends to be black skinny jeans, long stretchy cotton black tank topped off with a long drappy cardigan. I add silver flats to breeze through the airport. My white coach tote bag and a pair of sunglasses finishes off the look. I’m not advocating for the same color head to toe but a gradation on one neutral color like cream, gray, olive etc. The plus side to dressing monochromatic? It makes you look thinner, taller and pulled together.

Nix the sneakers. Holding up the security line to untie them will make you no friends. And really, I'm not a big fan of wearing sneakers outside of a sports related activity or the gym. Instead go for a chic pair of flats that you can slip off easily. If you’re traveling to warm weather location, I would choose a pair of wedge mules ( no flip, flops, not only does that look lazy but is actually dangerous due to the high toe stubbing possibilities).

Going on a long flight? Skip the Jeans. Choose a soft pair of leggings and a versatile waterfall cardigan. They feel like PJs but still allow you to look put together.

If there's one travel accessory worth spending money on, it's a good leather carry on. They last forever, look better the more you beat them up, and instantly upgrade your look with a touch of luxury.

Dress in Layers. It can get steamy standing in a crowded check-in line and chilly in an air-conditioned plane. To prepare for both situations, dress in layers that can be peeled off or added as needed in the airport and on the plane. For shorter flights I I love wearing a stretchy blazer over a long tee and stretch straight legs or skinny jeans. Add a scarf for those chilly moments for an effortless look.

Please, please no more velour suits or sweat pants. Thankfully I’m seeing this less and less but my god that is a look that has to die, die, die!!!

Finally KISS. Keep it simple stupid. Leave the elaborate jewelry in your bag, keep everything streamlined to keep your travel fuss free.


Anyway Dahlings, all this is to say that true style does not take a day off. I’m off to catch a plane. In Style, of course.

No comments:

Post Categories

2010 (1) a line skirt (1) accessories (10) airport style (2) amsterdam (2) ANTM (1) ASOS.com. (1) bags (2) barcelona (1) beauty products (1) belts (1) Black Friday (1) blazer (2) blush. candles (1) Boho Lux (1) booties (1) boots (5) bottoms (1) budget (1) Button Up Shirt (1) Camel Coat (1) Cape (1) cardigans (1) Christian Siriano (1) classic pieces (1) closet (1) Clothing swap (2) coat (1) Consumerism (1) couture (1) Creating layered looks (1) cross body bags (1) deals (3) denim jacket (1) desinger dresses (2) discount stores (1) discounts (1) Dresses (6) eco-friendly (1) fairly traded (1) fall 2010 (4) Fall Boots (2) fall fashion (1) Fall must have (5) fashion (3) Fashion TV (1) festive sweaters (1) film (1) flats (1) Forever21 (2) garden dress (1) getaways (1) gilt group (1) gloves (1) Golden Globes (1) haiti (1) handbag (1) handbags (1) haute look (1) heels (8) high end fashion (1) holidays (3) Hot For Fall (2) indie designers (1) Jewelry (2) Lanvin (1) leggings (2) leopard (1) london (1) M.A.C (1) make up (1) maxi (1) men and fashion (1) ModCloth (1) necklaces (1) NYE (1) Old Navy (1) opaque tights (1) oprah (1) Paris (2) Party dresses 2010 (1) Payless (1) personal style (6) pregnancy (1) pumps (1) Rachel Zoe (1) rent the runway (1) resolutions (1) sales (1) scarves (3) Sex and the City (1) shoes (7) shop (1) shopping (5) shopping diet (1) shopping responsibly (1) skinny jeans (1) skirts (1) Spring 2010 (8) Spring 2011 (4) stars (1) Stella and Dot (1) street style (1) Strutter of the Week (1) style (7) Style inspiration (1) style maven (1) style profile (2) stylish ladies (1) summer (1) summer 2010 (2) summer cool. (1) summer style (2) sunglasses (2) sweater dress (1) sweatshops (1) Target (1) Tee shirts (1) The Maxi Skirt (1) thrift (1) tights (2) top 7 things to pack (1) travel (1) TV (1) uniform (1) Vegas (1) vintage (2) vogue (1) walking in heels (1) watches (1) wedges (2) Wide leg jeans (1) wide leg pants (1) winter 2010 (2) winter fashion (1) wrap dress (1)