Sunday, January 2, 2011

Strutter of the Week: Hot Mama

 Strutters, several of my friends have had children in the last three years. And I'm always amazed at how  life with baby has not erased their love of clothes or sense of style. Gone are the days when being a new mom meant you got a pair of mom jeans upon leaving the hospital. Non, non.  The new moms I know are tackling motherhood in style. One friend in particular has two boys under the age of three but manages to look put together every time I see her. Her look consists of easy classic pieces for an active mom and professional. Once in awhile she will add a few trendy items to her look. But her clothes are functional, stylish, and smart. Meet Simone, momma extraordinaire.

How would you describe your style?
I would describe my style as sporty chic. I love to get dolled up every once in awhile, but as a mom I have to be versatile so tennys or ballet flats, trouser jeans, and simple t-shirts are some of my go to items when I'm with the kids.
   
How has your style change since you've become a mom?
I have tried to not let being a mom define my style. I think that being a new mother is one of the greatest and most challenging responsibilities of our lives, BUT, we don't have to let go of who we are just because our priorities have shifted. I may not be able to shop as much as I used to, but I can still find ways to express who I am through the clothes that I wear and that's important to me.

What are three key pieces every young mom should have in their closet?
The three most key pieces for me are:
Comfortable ballet flats or wedge heels: I wore one pair of flats throughout my second pregnancy. They were comfortable and I could pull them off at work or when I was running errands on the weekends. 
A lightweight scarf: for nursing in unexpected places :)
Lots of burb cloths: for quick clean ups these are a must if you don't want remnants of baby dribble (that may not wash out) all over your shirts!

What do you know for sure about style?

I know for sure that style is a matter of your own definition. We can look to media outlets to tell us what to wear, or we can figure out what looks good on us and stick with it. I have found a style that works for me and though I may venture out of that box every now and then, I try not to waste money following trends or getting too sidetracked that I lose my sense of self in an outfit. 

What are your favorite places to shop for good deals?
I love, love, love Nordstrom Rack. I'm able to find the quality that I want at the price that I can afford. For shoes, I like checking out the styles at Piperlime.com. When I have time second hand stores like Crossroads or Buffalo Exchange are great. I also hit up the Goodwill near my job every few months, especially for kids clothes. When kids are young, there's almost no point in buying new because they grow out of clothes so quickly that there's hardly time to soil anything. Second hand is a must for us!

Who inspires your style?

 A few of my style inspirations include Michelle Obama, Jennifer Lopez, Kerry Washington, Zoe Saldana and lately I've been loving the looks Kerry Mulligan pulls together.

Okay Strutters, you all know how hard it can be  dressing yourself in the morning. So having to dress yourself and the babies can be doubly challenging.  But taking a little time to feel good about you is important when you're a mom. I imagine a  happy mom makes a happy baby. Cheers to all the mommas striving for the perfect balance of self love and selflessness.

Post Categories

2010 (1) a line skirt (1) accessories (10) airport style (2) amsterdam (2) ANTM (1) ASOS.com. (1) bags (2) barcelona (1) beauty products (1) belts (1) Black Friday (1) blazer (2) blush. candles (1) Boho Lux (1) booties (1) boots (5) bottoms (1) budget (1) Button Up Shirt (1) Camel Coat (1) Cape (1) cardigans (1) Christian Siriano (1) classic pieces (1) closet (1) Clothing swap (2) coat (1) Consumerism (1) couture (1) Creating layered looks (1) cross body bags (1) deals (3) denim jacket (1) desinger dresses (2) discount stores (1) discounts (1) Dresses (6) eco-friendly (1) fairly traded (1) fall 2010 (4) Fall Boots (2) fall fashion (1) Fall must have (5) fashion (3) Fashion TV (1) festive sweaters (1) film (1) flats (1) Forever21 (2) garden dress (1) getaways (1) gilt group (1) gloves (1) Golden Globes (1) haiti (1) handbag (1) handbags (1) haute look (1) heels (8) high end fashion (1) holidays (3) Hot For Fall (2) indie designers (1) Jewelry (2) Lanvin (1) leggings (2) leopard (1) london (1) M.A.C (1) make up (1) maxi (1) men and fashion (1) ModCloth (1) necklaces (1) NYE (1) Old Navy (1) opaque tights (1) oprah (1) Paris (2) Party dresses 2010 (1) Payless (1) personal style (6) pregnancy (1) pumps (1) Rachel Zoe (1) rent the runway (1) resolutions (1) sales (1) scarves (3) Sex and the City (1) shoes (7) shop (1) shopping (5) shopping diet (1) shopping responsibly (1) skinny jeans (1) skirts (1) Spring 2010 (8) Spring 2011 (4) stars (1) Stella and Dot (1) street style (1) Strutter of the Week (1) style (7) Style inspiration (1) style maven (1) style profile (2) stylish ladies (1) summer (1) summer 2010 (2) summer cool. (1) summer style (2) sunglasses (2) sweater dress (1) sweatshops (1) Target (1) Tee shirts (1) The Maxi Skirt (1) thrift (1) tights (2) top 7 things to pack (1) travel (1) TV (1) uniform (1) Vegas (1) vintage (2) vogue (1) walking in heels (1) watches (1) wedges (2) Wide leg jeans (1) wide leg pants (1) winter 2010 (2) winter fashion (1) wrap dress (1)