Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Strutter of the Week: Artistic Flare

I love nothing more than the proper infusion of  texture and patterns in an outfit. And this week's Strutter, does that expertly well. Her style can seem under the radar but take a closer look and you'll notice the cut of the skirt, the texture of the sweater, and the unexpected pop of color that makes her outfits zing. Meet Cindy, she's a colleague  who also moonlights as an actress so that means all her clothes have that artistic touch. Read on for some style inspiration!



 How would you describe your style?

- My outfits tend to have a simple base but also incorporate color and a slightly quirky design. I love wearing clothes that experiment with the cut and fit of fabric. In addition to working at ITVS, I am a theatre actor, so I like my clothes to reflect my artistic side.


What is your style inspiration?

- I don't know. I've never considered myself a fashion person- I just kinda go with what I think looks and feels good on me. I do have a great appreciation for costume designers and how they can tell stories with clothing. I guess I'd have to say my respect for their work influences what I respond to in clothing design and ways pieces are tailored, how they convey things about the person wearing them.



What style rules do you live by?

-Comfort, first and foremost. I just can't be bothered with wearing something that will remind me that I'm wearing it every second it's on. I also like to combine simple pieces with things that have a bit more color or flair, just to keep it interesting. It's also important for me to wear clothes that make me feel like ME. I enjoy simplicity, but also adding a little something that makes me feel distinctive.


What are three pieces you are lusting after for your fall wardrobe?

- simple casual black knee-high boots

- cute hats, scarves and gloves

- wool coat either in dark blue or purple

I could go on for days, but the boots and coats are necessary staples, and the hats, scarves and gloves are an affordable way to spice up my existing wardrobe without breaking the bank.


What is the best style and fashion advice you’ve been given?

- Be clear about what styles and cuts look best on your figure and which don't. I saw a really cute jacket on sale once that I almost bought because I loved the design and it was super cheap, but it didn't look quite right on me. My friend convinced me to put it back on the rack and walk away. Looking back, I'm glad I did- pretty on the hanger doesn't mean it's going to be pretty on you.

- If an outfit is going to make you uncomfortable or self-conscious, just skip it and go with something else. Your discomfort will show, and even if it looks nice, you will seem...off. Besides, if you don't feel great in it, what's the point? ;)


What are your favorite shopping haunts?
Anthropologie puts their stuff on sale every Tuesday, and I watch that site like a hawk. A HAWK.

Ambiance

Jeremy's Department Store

Thanks for tip on Anthro. I've snagged a few pieces from their sale rack and it's good to know that Tuesday is the day to look out for!

Post Categories

2010 (1) a line skirt (1) accessories (10) airport style (2) amsterdam (2) ANTM (1) ASOS.com. (1) bags (2) barcelona (1) beauty products (1) belts (1) Black Friday (1) blazer (2) blush. candles (1) Boho Lux (1) booties (1) boots (5) bottoms (1) budget (1) Button Up Shirt (1) Camel Coat (1) Cape (1) cardigans (1) Christian Siriano (1) classic pieces (1) closet (1) Clothing swap (2) coat (1) Consumerism (1) couture (1) Creating layered looks (1) cross body bags (1) deals (3) denim jacket (1) desinger dresses (2) discount stores (1) discounts (1) Dresses (6) eco-friendly (1) fairly traded (1) fall 2010 (4) Fall Boots (2) fall fashion (1) Fall must have (5) fashion (3) Fashion TV (1) festive sweaters (1) film (1) flats (1) Forever21 (2) garden dress (1) getaways (1) gilt group (1) gloves (1) Golden Globes (1) haiti (1) handbag (1) handbags (1) haute look (1) heels (8) high end fashion (1) holidays (3) Hot For Fall (2) indie designers (1) Jewelry (2) Lanvin (1) leggings (2) leopard (1) london (1) M.A.C (1) make up (1) maxi (1) men and fashion (1) ModCloth (1) necklaces (1) NYE (1) Old Navy (1) opaque tights (1) oprah (1) Paris (2) Party dresses 2010 (1) Payless (1) personal style (6) pregnancy (1) pumps (1) Rachel Zoe (1) rent the runway (1) resolutions (1) sales (1) scarves (3) Sex and the City (1) shoes (7) shop (1) shopping (5) shopping diet (1) shopping responsibly (1) skinny jeans (1) skirts (1) Spring 2010 (8) Spring 2011 (4) stars (1) Stella and Dot (1) street style (1) Strutter of the Week (1) style (7) Style inspiration (1) style maven (1) style profile (2) stylish ladies (1) summer (1) summer 2010 (2) summer cool. (1) summer style (2) sunglasses (2) sweater dress (1) sweatshops (1) Target (1) Tee shirts (1) The Maxi Skirt (1) thrift (1) tights (2) top 7 things to pack (1) travel (1) TV (1) uniform (1) Vegas (1) vintage (2) vogue (1) walking in heels (1) watches (1) wedges (2) Wide leg jeans (1) wide leg pants (1) winter 2010 (2) winter fashion (1) wrap dress (1)