Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Style Maven of the Week: Preppy Chic With a Touch of Whimsicality

A couple of months back I had the opportunity to attend the wedding of colleague who is also a good friend.  A successful wedding should always have the stamp of the bride's personal style. And the wedding did just that. It was simple elegance with a twist and that's exactly the way I would summarize Chi's day to day style, this week's style maven. With Chi it's definitely about the classics: blazers, a-line skirts and dresses, black capris, straight leg jeans and the classic cardigan. But she brings a whimsical touch to these pairings by mixing unexpected patterns,  adding an evening shoe to a daytime look, and amplifying her look with dainty but interesting pieces of jewelry. What I like the most about Chi is that she never looks like she's trying too hard. Her clothes evoke a quiet confidence that conjure up the days of  the uber-chic Audrey Hepburn, a time when  the silhouette and details of clothes where of utmost importance but the woman took center stage. Meet Chi. Read about her personal style and check out her three favorite looks below.

How would you describe your style?
I enjoy contrasting styles, like grandma and grandpa sweaters or school boy jackets with frilly girly details and high heels. I like to have fun with my outfits and look for offbeat details (cool buttons, interesting stitching), and love vintage jewelry and other accessories.

What is your style inspiration?
I get inspiration from flipping through all sorts of fashion magazines ranging from Vogue to Lucky to Glamour and from watching old movies featuring style icons like Audrey Hepburn, Jean Seberg (i'm also drooling over what the ladies wear on Mad Men!). I've always loved looking through my mom's photo albums and admiring the feminine, mod style that she and her girlfriends wore so effortlessly back in Vietnam. There's one photo I particularly adore where she's in capris and a simple white oxford shirt--she's riding her bike with glam black sunglasses on, long hair blowing in the wind, a huge smile on her face--it's a wonderful, carefree moment. I get my color inspiration from my oldest sister--she's an incredible artist and we used to design paper doll clothes together when I was little; I always loved the unusual color combos she'd come up with. Also love looking at blogs like the Sartorialist and the Selby.

 What style rules do you live by?
If I have to ask my husband "is this too much?" before I leave the house, I usually know the answer is "yes" before he has a chance to utter the word. But, there have also been times where he has said "yes" and in my head I'm thinking "but I don't care if these colors are weird together! i like it! i'm going to wear it anyway!" So ... my rule is to go with your gut and go with what you love all that matters is that what you are wearing makes you feel good. And if you make a mistake, oh well. It's something to look back and laugh at, and it's a place we've all been. No one is immune from the fashion "don't."

 What are three pieces you are lusting after for your fall wardrobe?
Can i list more than three? There are so many on my lust list!
A navy peacoat with gold buttons
A (faux) fur-lined cap
Long leather gloves so my arms don't freeze when i wear my 3/4 sleeve jackets - classic black or maybe a rich, forest green
Cognac-colored leather oxfords
Some nice silk or cotton menswear ties, patterned and solid

What is the best style and fashion advice you’ve been given?
Be yourself. Don't try too hard.




My wedding gown. seriously! it was so much fun to have something tailor-made, just for me. while my dress was not custom designed, i was able to work with a seamstress to alter the style so it really suited me--creating a hi-lo hem, letting a little tulle peek out for a playful touch, shortening the waist so it fit my petite frame (and not the frame of someone four sizes bigger than me--but that's a separate rant about bogus wedding gown size practices). and i had so much fun picking out accessories like the coral pink fabric flower, sparkly vintage-inspired jewelry and violet sequin-bow shoes. i would love to wear my dress again--any other ladies out there interested in helping me plan a wedding gown ball?


i have a thing for polka dots, and ruffles, and this dress gives me both and brings in my love of grandma sweaters.



i like balancing out bright colors like the green in this shirt with neutrals like the tan jacket; i also like mixing girly details like the lace with more masculine details like the corduroy, and dressing up an otherwise casual look with fancy shoes.


Hope you're inspired Strutters! This Gal is going places....





Post Categories

2010 (1) a line skirt (1) accessories (10) airport style (2) amsterdam (2) ANTM (1) ASOS.com. (1) bags (2) barcelona (1) beauty products (1) belts (1) Black Friday (1) blazer (2) blush. candles (1) Boho Lux (1) booties (1) boots (5) bottoms (1) budget (1) Button Up Shirt (1) Camel Coat (1) Cape (1) cardigans (1) Christian Siriano (1) classic pieces (1) closet (1) Clothing swap (2) coat (1) Consumerism (1) couture (1) Creating layered looks (1) cross body bags (1) deals (3) denim jacket (1) desinger dresses (2) discount stores (1) discounts (1) Dresses (6) eco-friendly (1) fairly traded (1) fall 2010 (4) Fall Boots (2) fall fashion (1) Fall must have (5) fashion (3) Fashion TV (1) festive sweaters (1) film (1) flats (1) Forever21 (2) garden dress (1) getaways (1) gilt group (1) gloves (1) Golden Globes (1) haiti (1) handbag (1) handbags (1) haute look (1) heels (8) high end fashion (1) holidays (3) Hot For Fall (2) indie designers (1) Jewelry (2) Lanvin (1) leggings (2) leopard (1) london (1) M.A.C (1) make up (1) maxi (1) men and fashion (1) ModCloth (1) necklaces (1) NYE (1) Old Navy (1) opaque tights (1) oprah (1) Paris (2) Party dresses 2010 (1) Payless (1) personal style (6) pregnancy (1) pumps (1) Rachel Zoe (1) rent the runway (1) resolutions (1) sales (1) scarves (3) Sex and the City (1) shoes (7) shop (1) shopping (5) shopping diet (1) shopping responsibly (1) skinny jeans (1) skirts (1) Spring 2010 (8) Spring 2011 (4) stars (1) Stella and Dot (1) street style (1) Strutter of the Week (1) style (7) Style inspiration (1) style maven (1) style profile (2) stylish ladies (1) summer (1) summer 2010 (2) summer cool. (1) summer style (2) sunglasses (2) sweater dress (1) sweatshops (1) Target (1) Tee shirts (1) The Maxi Skirt (1) thrift (1) tights (2) top 7 things to pack (1) travel (1) TV (1) uniform (1) Vegas (1) vintage (2) vogue (1) walking in heels (1) watches (1) wedges (2) Wide leg jeans (1) wide leg pants (1) winter 2010 (2) winter fashion (1) wrap dress (1)