Monday, November 8, 2010

Style Maven of the Week: Posh Spice

It doesn't take a long to identify someone who possesses a strong sense of style. I've only hung out with Sherley two times as result of a  mutual friend and both times left me convinced that she walks to her own fashion drum beat.  I was hosting a Caribbean/African women's potluck at my house when she walked through the door ( fashionably late) dressed impeccably. There was something very polished about her style but it lacked the pretentiousness that often accompanies the word. The last time I saw Sherley ( at yet another potluck), she wore a  plaid tunic with a giant bow in the front and I absolutely fell in love with the look. And when I questioned her about her favorite shopping haunts it was clear that she knows a thing or  two about scoring major deals! Trends don't motivate her but instead she dresses to suit her mood and most importantly her body shape. Meet Sherley.


How would you describe your style?
Classy, Sassy - Elegance with a little spice.

What is your style inspiration?
My inspirations come from the sun, plants and flowers. I love waking up in the morning and letting my mood dictate my style. Because of my design/artistic background fashion is another blank canvas that allows me to express my creativity. I admire Michelle Obama she is the epitome of classy/sassy.


What style rules do you live by?
I love being a woman. I embrace my femininity and celebrate being a girly-girl by wearing dresses the majority of the time – even on cold, rainy days. That is what tights are for!
I rarely spend over $25 on my clothing. I never buy brand names or Haute Couture items unless they are from discount retailers or second hand stores. I like having the best of both worlds – quality and quantity. When I lived in Los Angeles, I found a pair of authentic strappy Gucci heals for $34. The exact pair was selling for $442 at Bloomingdale's. I am not into trendy fashion fads. I prefer classic pieces and funky unique ‘one of a kind’ items. I love dreaming about what interesting lives my clothes and vintage purses had before I adopted them. I wear colors and clothes that are flattering on me. Therefore I do not and (never will) own a pair of skinny jeans. I try every thing on and never buy clothes online.

What are three pieces you are lusting after for your fall wardrobe?
-I love my cowboy boots. They are classic, versatile, and comfortable with a decent heel.
-I am still searching for a simple black cardigan to wear with jeans or more importantly, with a “go get ‘em” little black dress.
-I am seeking the perfect warm winter coat that can be worn with sweats or “make my husband drool” dress.
-I am dreaming of durable leggings long in length, which also cover my rear. I have yet to find the magic pair.

What is the best style and fashion advice you’ve been given?
Comfort, comfort, comfort!
Clothing size does not matter buy what fits!
Invest in good pair of shoes, no compromises!
Accessories are your friends.

What stores do you hit up on the regular to get your fashion fix?
I am currently obsessed with Crossroads. BCBG outlet in Vacaville and Jeremy’s in Oakland or San Francisco and All Things Vintage.

Here's to Sherley. She makes a mean tres leches cake by the way!

Post Categories

2010 (1) a line skirt (1) accessories (10) airport style (2) amsterdam (2) ANTM (1) ASOS.com. (1) bags (2) barcelona (1) beauty products (1) belts (1) Black Friday (1) blazer (2) blush. candles (1) Boho Lux (1) booties (1) boots (5) bottoms (1) budget (1) Button Up Shirt (1) Camel Coat (1) Cape (1) cardigans (1) Christian Siriano (1) classic pieces (1) closet (1) Clothing swap (2) coat (1) Consumerism (1) couture (1) Creating layered looks (1) cross body bags (1) deals (3) denim jacket (1) desinger dresses (2) discount stores (1) discounts (1) Dresses (6) eco-friendly (1) fairly traded (1) fall 2010 (4) Fall Boots (2) fall fashion (1) Fall must have (5) fashion (3) Fashion TV (1) festive sweaters (1) film (1) flats (1) Forever21 (2) garden dress (1) getaways (1) gilt group (1) gloves (1) Golden Globes (1) haiti (1) handbag (1) handbags (1) haute look (1) heels (8) high end fashion (1) holidays (3) Hot For Fall (2) indie designers (1) Jewelry (2) Lanvin (1) leggings (2) leopard (1) london (1) M.A.C (1) make up (1) maxi (1) men and fashion (1) ModCloth (1) necklaces (1) NYE (1) Old Navy (1) opaque tights (1) oprah (1) Paris (2) Party dresses 2010 (1) Payless (1) personal style (6) pregnancy (1) pumps (1) Rachel Zoe (1) rent the runway (1) resolutions (1) sales (1) scarves (3) Sex and the City (1) shoes (7) shop (1) shopping (5) shopping diet (1) shopping responsibly (1) skinny jeans (1) skirts (1) Spring 2010 (8) Spring 2011 (4) stars (1) Stella and Dot (1) street style (1) Strutter of the Week (1) style (7) Style inspiration (1) style maven (1) style profile (2) stylish ladies (1) summer (1) summer 2010 (2) summer cool. (1) summer style (2) sunglasses (2) sweater dress (1) sweatshops (1) Target (1) Tee shirts (1) The Maxi Skirt (1) thrift (1) tights (2) top 7 things to pack (1) travel (1) TV (1) uniform (1) Vegas (1) vintage (2) vogue (1) walking in heels (1) watches (1) wedges (2) Wide leg jeans (1) wide leg pants (1) winter 2010 (2) winter fashion (1) wrap dress (1)