Thursday, October 28, 2010

Shopping Report: London, Paris and Barcelona


 Hello Strutters. The last couple of weeks I’ve been in London, Paris and Barcelona visiting old architecture, museums and eating all the chocolate croissants I could get my hands on. One of my favorite things to do when traveling is to window shop. In London I just had to pay a visit  to Topshop, the UK’s higher priced H&M featuring cutting-edge designs. I love Topshop and have purchased a few items from their online store. But Oh my I was completely overwhelmed when I walked into the store. Located right on the corner of Oxford Street (one of London’s busiest locations) this vast emporium is not just the largest Topshop in the country - it is a tourist attraction in its own right. There are literally thousands of tops and dresses for sale here and it is quite a scene. It was basically it’s own city: 5 stories of new and vintage clothes, shoes, accessories complete with a hair salon, personal stylists and nail salon. I was so completely overwhelmed that I couldn’t decide on anything to purchase. Not to mention the night before the hubby and I had dinner with one of his London-based coworkers and her boyfriend. Needless to say there was quite a lot of drinking followed by hitting the dance floor at two different clubs where more drinking took place. So my shopping skills were a little affected. But I enjoyed walking through that dizzying and maddening store. Definitely a must-see if you’re ever in London. There is a location in New York that opened last year but I’m not sure how big it is compared to the London store.


Topshop on Oxford street.
My next stop was Paris. For even the most ardent shopaholic, tackling the epicenter of la mode can evoke panic. If you’ve been to Paris before you know how overwhelming shopping can be in this city. The options are endless. But I made a strong effort. I went all over the city window shopping and picked up a lovely sweater in a small boutique in the Marais. But because I could not afford Chanel I had to go in search of the new H&M on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées. After being banned in 2007 from opening on the famed street, the newly opened three-storey flagship store, designed by acclaimed French architect Jean Nouvel, contrasts sandstone with industrial ironwork, moving lights and LCD screens. Apparently this H&M is not supposed to look like any other H&M but while I was overwhelmed with Topshop in London, I was underwhelmed with this store despite the fancy address. But it was packed. Where there is an H&M, folks will come; it’s like moths to a flame. Besides the location, the only thing unique about this H&M, is the pristine white bag with H&M 88 Avenue des Champs-Élysées in silver embossed lettering. And I have the bag to prove it. I love a good shopping bag! 
 

Inside the H&M on the Champs-Élysées.

Although I couldn’t afford the higher end brands in Paris I still wanted to look and feel higher end merchandise. I found Maje, Sandro, Comptoir des Cotonniers, and all the wonderfully trendy french chain stores at Le Bon Marché,one of the most famous Parisian department stores. And for those whose clothing allowance is in a whole other stratosphere, there were the likes of Lanvin, Kenzo, Maison Margiela and Marc Jacobs, along with shoes, bags and makeup. Clearly I did not belong in this category. My self esteem was very bruised when I left that place but thank god for the pastry shop across the street. At least there I could afford something!

Inside Le Bon Marché
 My final European stop was Barcelona where I did a lot of window shopping in the most popular commercial districts.  But like London and Paris there were a couple of stores I had to peruse: Zara and Mango, two brands that emerged from Spain. One of the most successful Spanish retail chains in the world – Zara never offers more then 10 items in the same style, which can drive you crazy if they don’t have your size, but will prevent you from looking like someone else when you walk down the street. While the chain offers trendy fashion, there's a level of elegance and sophistication that Zara brings and at better quality than an H&M. They have a fabulous coat collection and I’m dying to nab a couple in the states.There was also a Mango on every corner of the city with great pieces that have not hit the US stores yet.

I didn’t go overboard with the shopping in any of the cities I visited because I was really focused on good food, drinks and an overall cultural experience. And let's not forget that exchange rate!  But every time I travel abroad to major cities I can’t help but notice how as we are becoming more globalized we are all looking the same. Don’t get me wrong; there were slight style differences in the three cities I visited. For instance in London, the style mavens were slightly more edgy, daring and cheeky; in Paris, it was all about mixing the classics with the new for understated elegance. And everyone looked good from tiny tots to little old ladies; in Barcelona, the look was more muted and casual with major practicality. But it just seems that everyone is wearing the same look in the major cities of the world. Tights, boots, over sized sweaters, scarfs, cross over body bag, leather jacket etc. etc. you know the look. And you’ve seen it a hundreds times in your city. But cheers to styles that work across the globe, making it easier for women to have some modicum of style no matter where they live or their budget.

 

No comments:

Post Categories

2010 (1) a line skirt (1) accessories (10) airport style (2) amsterdam (2) ANTM (1) ASOS.com. (1) bags (2) barcelona (1) beauty products (1) belts (1) Black Friday (1) blazer (2) blush. candles (1) Boho Lux (1) booties (1) boots (5) bottoms (1) budget (1) Button Up Shirt (1) Camel Coat (1) Cape (1) cardigans (1) Christian Siriano (1) classic pieces (1) closet (1) Clothing swap (2) coat (1) Consumerism (1) couture (1) Creating layered looks (1) cross body bags (1) deals (3) denim jacket (1) desinger dresses (2) discount stores (1) discounts (1) Dresses (6) eco-friendly (1) fairly traded (1) fall 2010 (4) Fall Boots (2) fall fashion (1) Fall must have (5) fashion (3) Fashion TV (1) festive sweaters (1) film (1) flats (1) Forever21 (2) garden dress (1) getaways (1) gilt group (1) gloves (1) Golden Globes (1) haiti (1) handbag (1) handbags (1) haute look (1) heels (8) high end fashion (1) holidays (3) Hot For Fall (2) indie designers (1) Jewelry (2) Lanvin (1) leggings (2) leopard (1) london (1) M.A.C (1) make up (1) maxi (1) men and fashion (1) ModCloth (1) necklaces (1) NYE (1) Old Navy (1) opaque tights (1) oprah (1) Paris (2) Party dresses 2010 (1) Payless (1) personal style (6) pregnancy (1) pumps (1) Rachel Zoe (1) rent the runway (1) resolutions (1) sales (1) scarves (3) Sex and the City (1) shoes (7) shop (1) shopping (5) shopping diet (1) shopping responsibly (1) skinny jeans (1) skirts (1) Spring 2010 (8) Spring 2011 (4) stars (1) Stella and Dot (1) street style (1) Strutter of the Week (1) style (7) Style inspiration (1) style maven (1) style profile (2) stylish ladies (1) summer (1) summer 2010 (2) summer cool. (1) summer style (2) sunglasses (2) sweater dress (1) sweatshops (1) Target (1) Tee shirts (1) The Maxi Skirt (1) thrift (1) tights (2) top 7 things to pack (1) travel (1) TV (1) uniform (1) Vegas (1) vintage (2) vogue (1) walking in heels (1) watches (1) wedges (2) Wide leg jeans (1) wide leg pants (1) winter 2010 (2) winter fashion (1) wrap dress (1)